Thursday, April 10, 2014

Video: Jamie XX – “Sleep Sound”

I haven't really posted much from the XX camp in quite some time, and while Jamie xx’s latest tune has been floating around the internet for a moment now I waited until today to finally share it in the form of its new video.  The “Sleep Sound” visuals were handled by London artist/poet Sofia Mattioli who found her inspiration in an unexpected way…

“I was on a train listening to music, getting deep into it, and this girl started staring at me. After a while I took my headphones off and she came up to me, started signing and then wrote me a note to say that she was deaf but could almost feel the music by my movement.

The relationship between silence and music is a big part of what I am trying to express with my work. The first kid in the video, Archie, was bliss—all of them were amazing. I hope this is a project I can develop further.”

Mattioli brought on-board thirteen members of the Manchester Deaf Centre, and together, they danced to “Sleep Sound.” The performers responded to the movement of Mattioli and the vibrations in the air given off by the song.”

No comments:

Post a Comment