Tuesday, July 10, 2012

R.I.P. Dennis Flemion of The Frogs

From Left: Dennis Flemion, Kurt Cobain, Jimmy Flemion

Dennis Flemion of the Frogs is missing and presumed dead, Matador Records' Matablog has announced. The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reports that the 57-year-old resident of West Allis, Wisconsin went missing after going for a swim on a lake in Racine County on Saturday.

Brothers Dennis and Jimmy Flemion formed the Frogs in 1980. They released albums on Matador and Homestead and became notorious for wearing flamboyant costumes during concerts and for their controversial lyrics about gender and race. They continued to release albums up until last week, when they digitally released two LPs at the same time: Squirrel Bunny Jupiter Deluxe and Count Yer Blessingsz. For myself the Frogs provided many laughs when I was in high school making their way onto many a mixtapes. I always knew I had something I could throw on for the uninitiated that would make them do a double take!

Matador's Gerard Cosloy wrote a lengthy post about Flemion on the Matablog:

"Dennis was without question, one of the funniest persons I’ve ever encountered. Painfully so. It would not be an exaggeration to say there were several times in which his verbal evisceration chops were almost impossible to keep up with (those who’ve attended Frogs shows over the years know exactly what I’m talking about). ... The fantastic output and fleeting moments of near-fame aside, I hope he’s remembered as a really sweet guy first, and a hugely talented artist second. Our thoughts go out to Jimmy, the rest of the Flemion family, their friends and everyone who was lucky enough to know Dennis. Simply saying, 'he’ll be missed' doesn’t come close to covering it."

No comments:

Post a Comment